National Geographic Representative, James Dion presents at Fort William Historical Park
2020 HOCP Gathering – Quetico Conference Centre
Voyageurs National Park
Our old Friend, Norman Deschampes
Everyone is welcome to attend HOCP’s Meetings. At one time called quarterly meetings, but we are now calling them Roundtable Gatherings and are held in different communities throughout the Heart of the Continent 2-3 times a year. Scroll down for MINUTES.
A 2017 Roundtable Gathering was held in Duluth MN. We held our third Recreation and Tourism Summit at the Paulucci Building down in Canal Park. In the evening we enjoyed presentations from the Mayor of Duluth Emily Larson. We were also treated to stories of the growing clubs and organizations and the determination of the rock climbing communities of both Duluth and Thunder Bay areas.
In 2018 Roundtable Gathering was hosted in part by Voyageur Wilderness Programme on Voyageur Island near Atikokan/Quetico -Sept. 11-13 2018 – One of our guests was Bob Meadows from Colorado – a physical scientist and night skies specialist in the NPS Natural Sounds and Night Skies Division. It was here that we strengthened our goal to work towards becoming a large dark sky designation
In 2019 we hosted our second science symposium. We held our first one in 2016 and it was a great success. Find more information on our Science Symposium and the Tourism & Recreation Summit.
In 2020 we held a gathering at Quetico Conference and Lodge – agenda included – Land Managers Meeting -Crane Lake Visitor Center -Bike the Heart -General Partnership business and sustainability -Sustainable Recreation and Tourism—how to achieve it -Dark Sky Certification Initiative – Geotourism Website Migration, revising and improvements.
In 2022 we held our HOCP Gathering in Thunder Bay at Fort William Historical Park. It was good to connect face to face again and we had fantastic presentations both throughout the afternoon and into the evening.
HOCP’s general meetings usually include an evening lecture/discussion, along with a general meeting, with open discussion, updates from organizations, and breakouts on ongoing HOCP projects.
The diversity of participating organizations from both sides of the border make these meetings an increasingly vital place to share ideas, hear perspectives, and build relationships among leaders/stakeholders.
See below for links to our notes/photos from past HOCP GATHERINGS
- 2022 Fort William Historical Park
- Quetico Lodge and Conference Centre – Jan 17-18
- Crane Lake MN Oct 2-3 2019
- 2019 Science Symposium
- Atikokan/Quetico Sept. 11-13 2018
- Grand Portage MN May 2018
- Two Harbors Oct 2017
- April 6-7 2017 Duluth MN
- October 13-14, 2016 Lakehead Region Conservation Authority
- June 10-11 Voyageurs NP International Falls MN
- March 10-11 Science Symposium
- October 22-23: Lutsen MN – Caribou Highlands
- June 25-26, 2015: Fort Frances, ON
- November 13-14, 2014; Laurentian Environmental Center
- August 15-16, 2014; Atikokan/Quetico
- January 30-31, 2014; Voyageurs National Park, MN
- October 3-4, 2013; YMCA Camp Menogyn
- May 2-3, 2013; Thunder Bay, ON
- Feb 7-8, 2013: Duluth, MN
- Oct 4-5, 2012: Ely, MN
- June 1-2, 2012: Neebing, ON
- Feb 9-10, 2012: Duluth, MN
- October 24-27, 2011: International Community Congress
- August 18-19, 2011, Voyageurs National Park, MN
- June 24-25, 2011; Atikokan, ON
- February 24-25, 2011; Eveleth, MN
- October 7, 2010; Thunder Bay ON
- July 30; Grand Portage, MN
- April 22-23, 2010; Minneapolis, MN
- Feb 5, 2010; Thunder Bay, ON
- October 23 2009; Ely, MN
- January 16 2009; International Falls, MN
- October 24 2008; Duluth, MN