Heart of the Continent Partnership Quarterly General Meeting
Thursday & Friday, October 4th and 5th, 2012
Day 1 (October 4th): Thursday Afternoon—General Meeting
Sunset Room, Grand Ely Lodge: 400 North Pioneer Road · Ely, Minnesota 55731 800-365-5070· 218-365-6565
- 1:00 pm – General Meeting. Sunset Room, Grand Ely Lodge
- 1:00 pm – 1:30 pm – Welcome and Introductions (Doug Franchot, Steering Committee Chair, Heart of the Continent Partnership)
- 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm – Presentation and conversation with John Paulson, MN Power
- 2:30 pm – 3:00 pm – Presentation by Kirsten Spence, Trans Canada Trail Ontario
- 3:00 pm – 3:15 pm – International Community Congress 1 year report: including plans for marking and celebrating the completion of that effort, as team projects continue (Paul Danicic, Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness, and Lisa Radosevich-Craig, Superior National Forest)
- 3:15 pm – 3:30 pm – Snack Break
- 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm – Presentation and conversation with Steve Nelson, Spirit of the Wilderness Outfitters, Ely
- 4:30 pm – 5:30 pm – HOCP’s Two New Initiatives: Update and Progress Reports
- National Geographic project (Frank Jewell, St. Louis County Commissioner and Doug Franchot, Voyageurs National Park Association Board). (Note: there will also be a two-hour breakout planning session Friday morning)
- Volunteer Coordination Initiative (Lisa Radosevich-Craig, Chris Stromberg, Quetico Provincial Park, and Ann Schwaller, Superior National Forest). (Note: there will also be a two-hour breakout planning session Friday morning)
- 5:30 pm – Adjourn
- 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm – Dinner
Many of us will be eating at the Grand Ely Lodge, which will also be a good place to mingle with both HOCP meeting participants, and local leaders coming in to take part in the evening reception and film, also happening at the Grand Ely Lodge.
For many other great local dining options, please see the “Dining” tab on the Ely Chamber of Commerce Website.
Day 1 (October 4th): Thursday Evening—Program and Reception
Sunset Room, Grand Ely Lodge: 400 North Pioneer Road · Ely, Minnesota 55731. 800-365-5070 · 218-365-6565
7:00 pm – 9:30 pm CDT Joint Reception and Film “Green Fire.” Sunset Room, Grand Ely Lodge (see also attached flyer)
The Northwoods Committee of The Trust for Public Land and the Heart of the Continent Partnership are co-hosting this evening program, featuring a reception and brief program, followed by a screening of Green Fire. The program features Curt Meine, Aldo Leopold biographer and on-screen guides in the celebrated film Green Fire. See also attached flyer.
Day 2 (October 5th): Friday morning—Committee Work and Field Trips
8:00 am – 10:00 am – Committee Meetings, Open to All (Location tbd)
We’ll spend some breakout time in committee work, moving forward on HOCP’s two new initiatives. All interested parties are welcome and encouraged to attend:
- National Geographic Project: Planning session hosted by Frank Jewell, St. Louis County Commissioner and Doug Franchot, Voyageurs National Park Association Board. (Location tbd)
- Volunteer Coordination Across the Region: Planning session hosted by Lisa Radosevich Craig, Superior National Forest, Chris Stromberg, Quetico Provincial Park and Ann Schwaller, Superior National Forest. (Location tbd)
10:00 am – 2:00 pm CDT – Field trip to Listening Point, on Burntside Lake.