Schedule of Public Lectures: Most of the HOCP quarterly meetings include a public lecture by someone doing research in the region. Below is a list of upcoming and past lectures.
- August 19, 2011. “Update on Moose Projects in Northeastern Minnesota and Quetico Provincial Park.” Ron Moen, Ph.D., Research Associate, Natural Resources Research Institute, University of Minnesota Duluth. 9-10 am. Held at Voyageurs National Park Headquarters, (International Falls, MN).
- June 24, 2011. “Boreal forest succession: what to expect with or without stand replacing disturbances.” Dr. Han Chen, Professor, Faculty of Natural Resources Management, Lakehead University. Held at Quetico Provincial Park Visitors Centre, (Atikokan, ON).
- October 6-7, 2010. “Linking plant traits, community dynamics and ecosystem processes across scales: Why might this matter in a changing world?” Dr. Peter Reich, Regents Professor, Distinguished McKnight University Professor & F.B. Hubachek, Sr. Chair in Forest Ecology & Tree Physiology at the Dept. of Forest Resources, College of Food, Agricultural & Natural Resources Sciences, University of Minnesota. Held at Lakehead University, (Thunder Bay, ON).
- April 2010. “What will be Growing in the Border Lakes Forests of 2050?” Dr. Lee Frelich, Director,Center for Hardwood Ecology, University of Minnesota (held at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN).
- February 2010. “Putting the heart into continental partnerships: Collective action, and ecological integrity.” Dr. Peggy Smith, Faculty of Forestry and the Forest Environment at Lakehead University. See article in Lakehead’s newspaper, The Argus, March 2010. Held at Lakehead University, (Thunder Bay, ON).
- January 15, 2009. “Lake Sturgeon Research and Management in the Namakan System.” Darryl McLeod, Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Steve Windels, Voyageurs National Park. Held at Rainy River Community College, (International Falls, MN).
- October, 2008. “Earth, Wind, Fire, and Climate Change: What’s the Future for Our Northern Forests,” Dr. Peter Reich, Regents Professor, Distinguished McKnight University Professor & F.B. Hubachek, Sr. Chair in Forest Ecology & Tree Physiology at the Dept. of Forest Resources, College of Food, Agricultural & Natural Resources Sciences, University of Minnesota (Held at Great Lakes Aquarium, Duluth, MN).
- February, 2008. Modeling Ecological Restoration and Fuels Reduction Strategies for the Forests of the Border Lakes Region. Dr. Doug Shinneman. (Held in Ely, MN).