You are invited to the Heart of the Continent Partnership’s quarterly meeting in Duluth, MN on Feb 9 and 10. Please scroll down to register.
Register: Please scroll to bottom.
Thursday, Feb. 9
Hartley Nature Center
3001 Woodland Ave. Duluth, MN 55803
- 12:30 – Welcome & Introductions
- 12:45 – Opening Business
- 1:00 – Overview and tour of the Hartley Nature Center
- 1:30 – Brainstorm/discussion on your favorite place & important stops in the HOCP Region. The thoughts generated will potentially be used for tours [such as the FAM tour now being planned by the Atikokan team which attended the International Community Congress] and as a beginning to our afternoon workshop on ‘Making Place Matter’.
- 2:15 – Break
- 2:30 – Discussion and workshop on “Making Place Matter” led by Dr. David Greenwood, a Canada Research Chair in Environmental Education at Lakehead University in Thunder Bay. David’s research focuses on situating and connecting individuals, communities, histories, cultures, and ecosystems within the context of their specific “places” in a global, interconnected context. Following his presentation, David will lead a discussion on how each of us can work within our communities and visitors to better connect us all to the land within the Heart of the Continent.
- 4:30 – Wrap up and look ahead
- 5:00 – Dinner (everyone on their own- places will be discussed)
Zimema 2 Theater
222 E Superior St, Duluth, MN
6:45 – Duluth debut of “Gaa-izhinagishkodaaking Gichi-Onigamiing Dibaajimowin,” “Rendezvous with History: A Grand Portage Story.”
Free showing of the film followed by a discussion lead by Norman Deschampe, Chairman, Grand Portage Band of Chippewa and Tim Cochrane, Superintendent of Grand Portage National Monument. The film features Grand Portage history as told by an Ojibwe narrator.
The Grand Portage National Monument along with the Grand Portage Band of Lake Superior Chippewa worked together to create this 24-minute film. Two back-to-back showings are planned: one in English followed by one in Ojibwemowin.
Note: Validated Park on 1st St behind the Sheraton
Friday, Feb 10
6201 Congdon Blvd, Duluth, MN 55804
- 8:00 – Welcome and Introductions
- 8:30 – Heart of the Continent Business
- Committee reports & discussion
- 9:30 – Presentation by Visit Duluth
- 10:00 – Break
- 10:20 – International Community Congress: Action Plan Reviews and Discussion
- Noon – Lunch catered. $12.50 Bring cash or check. Please preregister at www.heartofthcontinent.org
- 1:00 Adjourn
Optional: Afternoon sessions with International Community Congress Community teams